Thursday, July 30, 2009

My news

As many of you know, this blog thing is very new to me. I'm not very computer advanced!!!!! It's hard for me to let everyone know what's going on right now, so I thought I could blog and tell everyone at once. This past Wednesday, I was diagnosed with Graves Disease. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but maybe the answer to the way I have been feeling...racing heart (my heart rate has been between (117 and 131 over the past few days), sweating all the time, fatigue, anxiety, etc. I know that most have never heard of this. It is a common form of hyperthyroidism. It is an autoimmune diease where my immune system mistakenly attacks my thyroid gland making it produce too much thyroxine. This disease is rarely life-threatening. There are no know specific causes of this and it has not been proven to be hereditary...however, my grandmother has thyroid issues and my mother was diagnosed with Graves when she was only 17. My PCP mentioned nuclear radiation to "kill" my thyroid and then I will have to take a pill for the rest of my life (yes, forever...that makes me feel like an old person in my 30's). Right now, I am on 100 mg beta-blockers. I go to the endocrinologist Aug.5th and hope to have a lot more information then. For the time being, my emotions and mind are getting the best of me. One minute, I feel so sorry for myself and the next I'm thankful that this is something that is at least treatable. I have friends who have had cancer and friends whose child have had cancer and I feel bad for feeling bad for myself when it could be so much worse. I know that God listens to us no matter how big or small our problems and does not weight them from biggest to smallest. I have faith that everything will work out good and hopefully I will start feeling better. So, I know I'm having a pit party at this point and I ask all of you to say a prayer for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment